Banff and Buchan Arts  Forum

 

Display Artefacts by List

Select an alpha category by clicking the appropriate button on the bar below. Initially 'A' has been selected and shows all artefacts found in the database under 'A'. Click on the artefact name to view more details.

 



Name
Description
Aberchirder wells solid granite built, pill box like well housings in the village of Aberchirder which like many 18th century planned villages is better known by the name of the farm toon that preceded it, in this case Foggieloan Moss from two Gaelic words foidh (peat moss) and lon (meadow), so Foggieloan means peaty or boggy meadow.
Abercrombie Coat of Arms Category B, Abercrombie coat of arms, St Mary's churchyard inset into exterior wall
Aberdeen enclosure, Methlick A low walled enclosure with a very ornate 'Celtic revival' cross shaped tombstone. The inscription reads: To the memory of George John James Fifth Earl of Aberdeen Born at Stanmore Priory September 1816 M.P. for the County of Aberdeen Died at Haddo House March 22nd 1864 at the age of 47 also of his wife Mary Baillie Countess of Aberdeen Daughter of George Baillie of Jerviswoode and sister of George 10th Earl of Haddington Born August 4th 1814 and died at Kennet House Alloa April 3rd 1900 at the age of 85 Their Works Follow Them
Aberdour cave graffiti An assemblage of graffiti mostly consisting of simply painted names and dates but including the illustrated iconographic piece, showing a hound's head from an unusual straight on perspective.
Aberdour Dovecot Dovecot; small square ashlar with some pinnings; stone nesting boxes; has squat octagonal gablet pinnacles; two rat ledges; possibly 16th/17thC origin; restored 1981.
Aboyne Jubilee Fountain A commemorative drinking fountain in polished pink granite with contrasting gray decorative columns. The inscription reads: "Erected by the inhabitants of Aboyne and neighbourhood in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Victoria 1897 and the coronation of His Majesty King Edward VII 1902.
Aboyne Millennium Gates Pair of double wrought iron gates with masonry pillars with ornamental capstones, decorated with a bronze relief showing the Marquis of Huntly's Crest (being used as the Gordon clan badge?) with a ten tined stag's head and neck affrontee issuing from a coronet and the motto Bydand. Following a suggestion from the Marquis of Huntly, the Games' Chieftain, it was decided to echo the design of the tops of the gate pillars at the Parish Church across the Green, on the gates leading on to the Green and on to Huntly Road. (A similar pair exists in the grounds of Aboyne Castle). The more 'cylindrical' form of the Fountain was also incorporated by making the tops more circular in plan with a view to reflecting that influence thus effecting a degree of compatibility. The main parts of the pillars are constructed with local stone and blend well with surrounding buildings, particularly the Huntly Arms Hotel.
Aboyne Stained Glass, War Memorial An ornate memorial setting of stained glass and elaborate stone mullions flanked by the rolls of honour. The six allegorical figures are from left to right: Valour, Patriotism, Victory, Peace, Freedom and Justice.
Agnew's office railing A surviving example of highly decorative Victorian or Edwardian decorated cast iron work
Aikey Brae stone circle or Parkhouse stone circle Elliptical Recumbent Stone Circle; Widest diameter 16.6 metres, narrowest diameter 12.8 metres five erect stones including recumbent and E pillar, five prostrate stones including W pillar. They are set upon a bank of small stones and earth 1.92m x 0.76m. c14.4 m in diameter, with kerbs formed by slab-like stones on the inner and outer faces, it appears flat, however below the surface, the interior is made up, at least partially, of a mass of small boulders. It was a considerable feat to haul all the great stones of the ring, including the massive, whale-like recumbent (weighing 21 tons), into position on this bank. Such banks are a particular feature of recumbent Stone circles in Buchan. An arc of monoliths runs out from the fallen west flanker; the southern and central ones were perhaps selected for their distinctly phallic shape. These stones are exceptionally tall: the cast flanker stands 2.23 m high and its fallen partner on the west is 2.86 m long. Clear signs that the seven stones of the ring were graded in height can still be seen. Most of the stones are of granite, but the fallen west flanker and the recumbent are of whinstone. The latter, 4.6 m long is rather uneven over its upper surface, yet overall quite level; it is beaked at the west end for ease of levering into position, but very straight at the east. A very atmospheric site.
Alex Paterson's Ship Painters Shed There is a tradition in this area of ship painters using the exterior of their premises try their colours and clean their brushes etc.. This results in heavily textured and intense abstract expressionist works of an impressive scale. Some might argue that they lack sufficient intentionality to be considered art works but they are definitely intended to be seen. This practice is also seen on other smaller sheds within the boatyard and even on roadside bollards.
Alford Bull Roadside life size naturalistic bronze of an Angus bull on a shallow stone plinth, surrounded by a small area of paving enclosed, on the field side, by a mortared rubble wall with cairn like pillars. First Plaque reads: ABERDEEN ANGUS This bronze sculpture was commissioned by the community of Alford in 2001 to symbolise the historic connection between the the celebrated Aberdeen Angus breed and the village of Alford. One of the founders of the breed, Wm. McCombie farmed at Tillyfour, Alford from 1820 to 1880 and was one of the most distinguished agriculturalists of his time. "He found a purely local breed: he left a breed known and valued throughout the cattle countries of the world." The model for this bull, Jeremy Eric of Bridgefoot, was bred by A. Fordyce & sons, Bridgefoot, Kemnay, Aberdeenshire, and purchased by F. J. Fraser & son Newton of Idvies, Forfar, at the Perth bull sales in February 2000 for 28,000 guineas. Sculpter: David Annand Casting: Powderhall Bronze Edinburgh The second plaque is a list of notable financial contributors and the third in pink granite commemorates the royal unveiling. Also shown is a portrait head after an engraving of William McCombie.
Anderson marriage datestone A restored and gilded marriage datestone for John Anderson and Helen Ogilvie dated 1699 above a religious text.
Andrew Bruce Memorial A memorial commemorating the artist's brother Andrew Bruce who lost his life during the sinking of H.M.S. Barham at 16.25 hrs. on the 25th November 1941. The memorial is to be installed in his home village of St. Combs.
Animals and People Installation of 3 relief carved pink granite boulders by Louise Gardner, showing people and animals, with small ceramic tiles by local schoolchildren set into the pavement.
Anne Rochford's Gravestone - Tree of Life An inspired contemporary gravestone, by Helen Denerley, with a brass and copper relief appliqué in the form of the tree of life in a sinuous style. A mouse and a lizard are nestled among the tree's roots.
Archway with Mask Detail Listed Category A. Italianante building by Thomas Mackenzie, Elgin 1851-4 , with unusual queen-head capitals and Corinthian pilastered triparte with shell motif over centre light. Linked at south by tall round headed archway incorporating carved bearded head. The interior has 1st floor hall which takes up the entire frontage, the ceiling being supported by 6 pairs of draped female figures clasping laurel wreaths. The Town Hall was originally built as the St. Andrew's Lodge of Masons Hall.
Ardlui gate Possibly made by Emil Rzechorzek, a steel gate and house sign combined that although of a later period perfectly attunes with the 'art deco' style of which the town has such fine surviving examples.
Arnage Home Farm sign A fairly recent addition to the regions collection of cut metal signs showing the current favourite iconography of a man with a pair of horse and a plough. Behind is an older primitive painted board sign now almost illegible.
Art-deco Shops Possibly Colonel Tawse and Messrs Hall, 1936. Single storey and 2-storey with attic, 6-bay, terraced, Art Deco style former Co-operative building adjoining separately listed Carron Restaurant, Cameron Street. Fine decoratively-astragalled top-lights, coloured glass medallions and original shop doors with brass door furniture. Granite ashlar shop fronts, with crenellated, crowstepped darker ashlar 1st floor bays; harl and coursed rubble to side. Oversized stylised keystone and capitals. N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 single storey bays to right of centre incorporating stepped moulded shop front at outer right with large centre keystone, deep-set centre door with margined glazing and original handle, flanking fixed display windows and 3-part decorative top light with coloured glass medallion depicting grocery basket over entrance. Paired smaller shops to left with deep-set outer doors (that to right as above), inner display windows and dividing pillar, shop to right with coloured glass medallion depicting cow's head and that to left with wheatsheaf (see Notes). Further pillar to outer left adjoining 2-storey building with 2 similar (but altered) shops, that to centre with decorative top light with pestle and mortar medallion. Broader shop at outer left comprising 2-part fixed display window, boarded top light and doorway to outer angle with metal roller giving way to deeply in-canted door, mosaic-tiled floor with monogrammed 'NCSL' and flanking display windows. 1st floor with 3 wide-centre tripartite windows and 4-light window to outer left angle, later out-of-character flat-roofed dormer to left. E (ANN STREET) ELEVATION: shop front with 2-part fixed display window and huge centre keystone to right, 2 doors to left and asymmetrical fenestration at 1st floor; small roundheaded window in gablehead. Original Art Deco glazing combining horizontal patterning with Deco symbols in metal windows to all shop fronts (some obscured by modern fascias); modern glazing above ground. Grey slates, single storey bays with piended roof and large horizontal rooflight to W. Coped ashlar gablehead stacks with cans. INTERIORS: modern.
Asleid 1 A cut sheet metal painted farm sign showing a ploughman with a horse and plough.
Asleid 3 A sheet metal painted weather vane created by the brother of G Christie who made the related farm signs.
Asleid2 A cut sheet metal sign by the same artist as Asleid 1, on another entrance to the farm this time illustrating a horseman with a box cart.